As summer comes to an end, college life comes back into play as we all move back to our respective campuses. Unfortunately, this puts many of us back into the long distance relationship mode. Finding someone that you find worth waiting for is awesome, but it can really be a pain and a lot of work. Trust me, I know. My boyfriend and I have been long distance for over two years now. Not only does he go to school out of state, but he is also going to serve in the Air Force. So long distance is something that I am, and need to be, getting used to.
It has always been said that “absence makes the heart grow fonder,” and I am a true believer in that. What I have learned from these past two years is to make the most of the situation you are in. I have come to cherish all the time we have together, knowing that the time doesn’t last forever.
So, lets make the most of this year! Just because your love is away, doesn’t mean you cannot have another great year at school. Here are some tips and ideas that have spawned out of my own relationship.
- Keep yourself busy: Find a club on campus, volunteer for a local organization, or find a new hobby. Know that it is okay to have fun without your significant other – having fun is what college is all about (besides the learning of course!). And bonus! Time will go by much faster because you are having a blast!
- Be creative with your Skype dates: Laugh all you want, but last year my roommate and her boyfriend played pictionary with me and my boyfriend…even though he was via skype. We had a blast though! It was something we would have done had he been home, and it felt like he was really there with us. Other ideas for Skype dates are watching movies (yes, it’s possible), studying (boring, but still nice), or having dinner together.
- Send care packages: The very first time my boy went away, I went straight to the store and purchased little things that reminded me of our times together. It was a fun way for me to connect with him. Put together a box of his favorite foods, silly toys, a mixed CD…anything!
- Communicate every day: My boy and I are a little… annoying in the way that we like to be in constant communication. That’s just how our relationship has always been, and we love it that way. That being said, I know all relationships are different, but I still believe that there should be at least one significant conversation every day. You need to be able to reflect on your day and fill him in on things you would have told him had he been home.
- Ignore the doubters: Like I said above, every relationship is different. So just because a friend wasn’t successful in her long distance romance, doesn’t mean yours will turn out the same way. So don’t linger on the doubters and make your relationship work your way.
Hardly anyone plans or wants to be in a long distance relationship, but life happens. As long as you are both committed to making it work, it will! And I will let you in on my favorite part of being long distance: you get that butterflies-in-your-stomach feeling every time you get to be back together
Got any other long distance tips? I would love to hear them! And good luck lovers! Know it may never be easy, but it will get easier.
Hayley is a junior at the University of Washington, studying communications, women's studies, and dance. She is co-captain of the UW Husky Dance Team and is active in the Miss America Organization. Hayley loves learning about the fashion industry and her and her mother's shopping motto is "if it fits us both, it's half the price!"
Hayley M. has 71 post(s) on RTR On Campus