This beautiful scarf is a perfect holiday gift for anyone, whether you’re on a budget or not, and it can be made from any old t-shirt that you already own. Stick with stretch fabrics or cotton for the best results and colors can be as bright or neutral as you like!
1. Begin by cutting the shirt into looong strips. Too short and your scarf will look more like a choker. You want to end up with around 9 thicker strips, as the t-shirt will naturally curl into itself after cut.
2. Next, decide how much of the scarf you want braided and how much you want loose.
3. Start by tying one of the strips in a knot around the other pieces. This will collect all of the pieces together and make it easy to braid.
4. Begin braiding, including all 9 strips into one.
5. Once you’ve finished your braid, wrap another piece of the fabric around the others and knot it. Your braid should now be secured at both ends.
6. Decide what length you want your scarf to be and then secure the two ends together either by knotting or using a little hot glue. Make sure not to let the glue show, though! It’ll look sloppy.
Lizzy is a Merchandise Product Development major at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising L.A. She is highly influenced by J. Crew, Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors and hopes to one day be designing and marketing fantastic fashions just like her icons.
Lizzy S. has 64 post(s) on RTR On Campus