Looking to serve up a treat that tastes just as good as it looks? These Starbucks Frappacino Cupcakes are unique, adorable, delicious, and will more than impress whoever you choose to make them for!
This recipe is brought to you by Kimz Kitchen.
Ingredients for the cake
3/4 cup whole or low-fat milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 package of Starbucks Via Instant Coffee
1 tbsp vanilla
3 cups cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons of another pack of Starbucks Via Instant Coffee
2 teaspoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cup white sugar
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
Directions for the cake
1. Heat the milk in the microwave or on the stove until hot – stop short of a simmer. Stir in the instant coffee until well blended. Add the vanilla and set aside.
2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, soda, salt, ground coffee and cocoa.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment until creamed. It should be slightly fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
4. Add 2/3 of the flour mixture and the sour cream. Add the remaining flour mixture and milk. Beat until smooth.
5. Scrape all the batter out into a separate bowl and wash the mixer bowl thoroughly.
6. Switch to the whisk attachment and beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. They will hold a stiff peak but they will still slip around a little in the bowl.
Fold the egg whites into the cake batter gently, folding the batter around until well combined.
7. Fill cupcake liners with batter and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (they baked up surprisingly fast).
Ingredients for the coffee mousse (to fill the cupcakes with)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup water
1 package of Starbucks Via Caramel flavored coffee
2 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
Directions for the coffee mousse
1. Whisk sugar, yolks, water and Starbucks via in large metal bowl.
2. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bowl to touch water); whisk until candy thermometer registers 160°F, about 8 minutes.
3. Remove bowl from over water. Using electric mixer, beat egg mixture until cool and thick, about 5 minutes.
4. Beat cream in another large bowl until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold cream mixture into egg mixture.
Ingredients for the caramel drizzle
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions for the caramel drizzle
1. Cut butter into evenly sized cubes and melt over low heat in large 3-4 quart saucepan.
2. Once butter is fully melted, add brown sugar, being careful to avoid the sides of the pan. If any stray sugar crystals fall onto side of pan, carefully brush off with a wet pastry brush.
4. Once butter and sugar are fully combined, add corn syrup and condensed milk. Clip on candy thermometer to side of pan.
5. Cook mixture on low heat (still continually stirring) for about a minute or two. Increase heat to medium and continue to cook/ stir until mixture reaches 225 degrees. Once the mixture is removed from heat, stir in vanilla extract.
Ingredients for the Swiss meringue buttercream
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg whites
3 sticks unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Directions for the Swiss meringue buttercream
1. Heat sugar, egg whites, and salt in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pan of simmering water, whisking until sugar dissolves and mixture registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer.
2. Return bowl to mixer, and whisk, gradually increasing speed from low to medium-high, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in vanilla. Switch to a paddle attachment and beat until air bubbles are gone, 2 to 3 minutes more.
To assemble cupcakes…
1. Once cupcakes are cool, core out the center of each one. Using a pastry bag, pipe a small amount of caramel sauce, then pipe coffee mousse until the center is almost full, and then top with another piping of caramel.
2. Once all cupcakes are filled, pipe swiss meringue buttercream onto each one using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
3. Lastly, use a sturdy plastic freezer bag or disposable plastic pastry bag with a small hole cut out of it and drizzle caramel on top of each cupcake.
4. Take some starbucks straws (one straw makes four tiny cupcake straws). Cut them in half, then in half again. Stick one right into that yummy mousse filling and watch everyone try to drink their cupcakes.
Lizzy is a Merchandise Product Development major at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising L.A. She is highly influenced by J. Crew, Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors and hopes to one day be designing and marketing fantastic fashions just like her icons.
Lizzy S. has 64 post(s) on RTR On Campus