Peace Cord™ is a bracelet hand woven by women in Afghanistan from military grade parachute cord and uniform buttons – the same materials our soldiers use and wear. Peace Cord™ is your tie to our troops.
Peace Cord™ is a partnership between ARZU STUDIO HOPE and Spirit of America, like-minded nonprofit organizations affecting positive change in communities across Afghanistan. Production of Peace Cord™ creates jobs for impoverished Afghan women, delivers access to education and healthcare, and provides funds to U.S. troops for humanitarian projects to supply necessities like shoes, food and school books to isolated Afghan communities.
Our objective is for 1,000,000 Americans to buy a Peace Cord™ to support our troops and empower Afghan women.
How to Make Your Own PEACE CORD
1. Assemble your materials. To make a Peace Cord, you need yarn, parachute cord, scissors, buttons, a ruler, a lighter, a needle, thread, and tape.
2. Measure your wrist to determine the perfect size for your bracelet. Then, start with about 10 feet of parachute cord.
3. Grab the cord by both ends and even out both sides.
5. Use tape to hold the central loop in place. Now you’re ready to weave!
9. Take the left piece of cord and thread it under the stem of the “P” we just made, and over and through the loop of that same “P”.
10. Make sure to gently tighten the cord after each woven loop as you go along. Your bracelet will start to resemble a Peace Cord!
11. Repeat these two weaving steps until you near the end of your central loop.
13. The ends should be trimmed to about 4 inches each. They can be slipped back into the weave, knotted, trimmed, and singed.
15. Then, Sew the button onto the end of the Peace Cord.
Go to the Peace Cord website, to purchase your own Rent the Runway bracelet and see all of our other styles.
Check out this video to see the actual production of Peace Cord bracelets in Afghanistan!
RTRCampusGirl has 208 post(s) on RTR On Campus