Looking forward to a fabulous summer getaway but nervous about maintaining your fitness away from home? Here are some ideas for keeping up with a healthy routine wherever you are:
Run The City- My favorite way to familiarize myself with a new area is to go on a run. The best time to do this is in the morning. This way you avoid the main tourist rush, get your workout in, and impress everyone with your directional skills over breakfast.
- Most hotels have a jogging map for their guests at the front desk.
- Make sure to check that the area is safe before you go bombing up the streets.
- If you don’t have a buddy to go with you, carry your cellphone in case you get lost or need to call for help. (If you are unable to use your cellphone make sure that someone in your party knows when you leave and approximately when you are going to get back).
- Ditch the bus and enjoy the surroundings on your own two feet. This is a great way to include reluctant family members and friends. Many areas have walking and bike tours that you can sign up for if you prefer not to wander on your own.
- If you are bound for a beach destination, volleyball, paddleball, and water activities are all great cardio workouts- and a blast!
Bedside Aerobics- (It’s not what is sounds like). If you don’t have access to a gym and can’t hit the streets you can keep up strength, core, and cardio in your room.
- Incorporate the furniture but make sure not to use any breakable items.
- You can use books or water bottles in place of weights.
- A jump rope is a good cardio option and is easy to stuff into your suitcase.
- Look out for healthy food options throughout the day
so that you can keep track of them for later.
- Pack some familiar snacks like granola bars, nuts, fruit, yogurt, and string cheese just in case.
- Always carry a water bottle.
- Remember to pack your workout essentials.
- Check out your fitness options before you arrive so that you can plan around scheduled events.
- Carry a watch, sneakers, shorts, and a T-shirt in your day bag just in case.
Most importantly, ENJOY YOUR VACATION! – You (probably) deserve it
Miriam S has 6 post(s) on RTR On Campus